Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Old Jeans into New Skirt

My daughter has been needing some new clothes lately.  She is growing so fast, I can't keep up her wardrobe!  A while back my mom gave me some jeans that she thought I could repurpose.  I finally took the time to change a pair of jeans and a pair of cargo pants into cute skirts for Amanda.  I didn't get a before picture, but I promise, they were just your everyday jeans and cargo pants. 

 First, cut the legs off the jeans longer than you want the skirt.  Then rip open the inside leg seams, and up the front and back of the crotch area.  Then you overlap the flaps, and sew them together.  You'll have to cut out the excess from the inside.
 After you sew the seam down the front and back, you'll be left with a triangle missing.  Use a piece from the legs you cut off to fit into the spot.  I used a double seam to try to mimic the original look of the seams I ripped out.
 This is what the back looks like.  I think it turned out just perfectly.
Well, apparantly I didn't take any pics of the cargo pant/skirt, but it's pretty much the same, except it has the pockets on the side of the legs.  I'll have to keep my eye out for some more cute pants to recycle.  As longs as Amanda likes them and will wear them, I'll make them!

Linking up to Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.

No comments: